University of Calgary, Faculty of Law, Progress, Tradition, Blending
The gestation period of the Faculty of Law, University of Calgary was a long one. After a short lived attempt to operate the Calgary College of Law in 1912-14, the southern Alberta city had to await the founding of the University of Calgary in 1966 before the setting up of a law school would emerge again as a serious possibility.' In 1969, after positive recommendations from both the Law Society of Alberta and the Calgary Bar Association that a law school be established at the new university, the latter under the leadership of President Fred Carruthers formed a sub-committee of its Academic Policy Committee to consider the feasibility of setting up a second faculty of law in the province. The sub-committee was chaired by Professor Eugene Dais, then of the Department of Political Science.
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-No Derivative Works 4.0 International License.
John P. S. McLaren, “Legal Education at Calgary: Blending Progress and Tradition”, Comment, (1984-1985) 9:2 DLJ 421.